Friday 10 June 2016

Of Kingdoms and Castles



"The sea-flood sprung up to such a height, and did so much harm, as no man remembered that it ever did before".

Hello. It has been a while, hasn't it? I have certainly missed blogging - but if you read my last post I am sure you will understand why I had to step away for a few months. I had an introduction planned inside my head for this entry but now I can't seem to grasp any of the words. I'm typing whatever pops into my head first, if I'm to be completely honest. I  also had an incredibly nasty bout of pneumonia that left me good-for-nothing for over 3 weeks.

I took a break from blogging because I lost someone very dear to me. My grandmother. Her passing has left a hole in my heart that I doubt will ever feel truly filled again. She was an incredible woman and my head is filled with warm, loving memories of her. I still don't feel that I have allowed myself to grieve properly...it seems incomprehensible that she isn't here anymore. My mind and heart haven't accepted it and I don't know when or if they will.

I think it was important for me to take a break from Eggshell Days and the blogosphere in general, even if my absence was longer than I originally intended. Although, I still don't feel that I'm in quite the appropriate head-space for it, which is partly why I'm going to share an adventure that took place in the Summer. Before.




July 2015. In the grand scheme of things, it was not that long ago at all. But in my head, it almost feels like far more than a year has gone by since I last took my small family out for a summer adventure. I find winter has that effect on me. The days and weeks seem to stretch on and on. Becoming an endless bleak blur. I'm so glad that the summer is here again - I have so much catching up to do and so many blog entries to write! A lot has happened since November.

Oh, and you will not believe how much Robin has grown! He looks so tiny in all of these photos - but he is huge now! Walking, running, talking (sort of) and climbing. Just to put things in perspective, the following photo was taken in July of last year and the four below it were taken within the last month or so:




He's losing his baby looks! Robin is growing too quickly, but I suppose I will always feel that way. I'm both fascinated and terrified, proud and sad. I want to pause time and hold onto every moment with him for longer than I'm allowed to. I know that 'nothing gold can stay', but he will always be my sweet golden sunshine boy...even when he's an adult!

Our trip to Penzance started on a gloomy midsummer morning. We were determined to get out of the house no matter the weather, and so took the train from Truro with the hope that the clouds would clear by the time we reached our destination. Despite the 45 minute journey, Robin didn't get bored or fussy at all which was a wonderful surprise. He spent most of the train ride gazing out of the window and chattering excitedly. These days, I'm lucky if I can get him to sit on my lap for longer than two minutes!


The sky looked even more ominous over Penzance, but our excitement didn't allow the encroaching rain clouds to dampen our spirits and instead we took the opportunity to photograph the dramatic scenery. I have to say, I often loathe shooting in strong sunlight so the occasional cloud can be a blessing from time to time. Dark skies heavy with clouds often stir me. There is something about a summer storm that makes me want to create.



Our destination: St Michael's Mount (seen here in the background). Karrek Loos yn Koos, in Cornish, which means 'hoar rock in woodland', literally 'the grey rock in a wood', which may indicate a folk memory of a time before Mount's bay was flooded - remains of trees have been seen at low tides following storms on the beach. 


 A medieval church and castle on a rocky mount with buildings dating back to the 12th century. It also has its own living community, with 30 islanders calling the mount their home. Everyone inhabiting the island plays their part in ensuring everything is kept running smoothly.



Behold! My husband - the explorer. We decided to take the scenic route and walked the coastline from the train station to the castle. The best way to do it - the views are truly phenomenal and the walk only takes a couple of hours.


Robin couldn't quite manage to stay awake for the whole thing. However, nowadays we have to really convince him to take a nap!




Of course, no trip to St Michael's Mount is complete without the 'low-to-the-ground-shot-of-people-walking-to-the-castle' photo.

It was low-tide, so we were able to walk across the causeway and gain access that way. I admit, I was a teeny tiny bit disappointed as I had been hoping to get there by boat. During high tide motorboats frequently leave from the various landing points along the shore at Marazion for the Mount's harbour at a very reasonable price. One way fares are £2.00 per adult and £1.00 per child.




Ancient, rugged and steep...very steep. We traversed the rocks with thoughts of the Cornish legend Jack the Giant Killer in our minds. Cormoran the giant made the Mount his home, stealing cattle from the unfortunate islanders whenever it took his fancy. Jack, a young man from Marazion, was the only one with the courage to rid the town of its curse. During the night, he stealthily made his way across the causeway to lay a trap, before luring the giant out with a blare on his horn.

The outcome can be found throughout the castle and mount...unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of the stone heart! However, I did get a shot of Connor checking out the Giant's well (while I checked out his rear because I am an insufferable pervert).


I love stained glass windows! The manor was full of them. Unfortunately, it was super crowded and full of impatient tourists so I didn't get to linger for very long, which also meant I couldn't take very many photos of the interior. I cannot stand cramped spaces filled with people - anything that involves having my personal space invaded gives me the creeps.



I'm the sword wielding thing with wings and the demon represents tourists (maniacal cackle).


The views from the higher points were breathtaking. Writing this entry now, nearly a year later, I can feel a deep need to go back to this spot.




Eventually, we dragged ourselves away and headed back towards the mainland. We walked back the way we came at a leisurely pace as we still had a couple of hours or more before the train was due to leave. The weather was also a lot more pleasant than it had been on our way to the mount.


I can't remember the name - but opposite the beach on the way back we found a small nature reserve flanked by forest and overgrown with incredibly tall rushes. In fact, I think I will return this year and take some photos for a blog entry - I desperately wanted to explore the entire thing but we were running short of time.

Our journey home was peaceful - Robin was very content. At the time, I can remember hoping that these regular excursions and adventures would inspire the same wanderlust in him that burns in me. Now, I can say he certainly has a love for the outdoors and an appreciation for nature. He will often lead me by the hand to the front door with a pleading look! I do hope it will always be that way.



Finally completing this post has given me such a sense of relief. In all honesty, it has been a millstone around my neck and an excuse. 'Oh, I can't write anything else until it is complete', etc. In a way, I was using it to avoid fully facing the grief I feel. Avoidance. Of everything, anything. Memories can be painful, and my numerous attempts to return to blogging months ago left me feeling emotionally raw. But, I realise now that I need it. It is cathartic. I can't bottle my feelings up and build walls around my heart forever. So, yes, you will see the return of regular posts from me. 

I have also realised that I need to worry less about the audience of my blog. My intention has never been to earn a profit or write posts that will garner the most page views and clicks. I just wanted to create an open diary and share my memories and experiences of life in Cornwall. I don't know if my entries will change in any noticeable way - but I think taking a more relaxed approach will work wonderfully and hopefully encourage me to post with increased regularity.



Now then, I take a lot of photos and not all of them will end up here, not to mention I have been absent from Eggshell Days since November. If you would like a catch-up in regards to what I have been doing since then, you can find me on Instagram under the username jane_eyre_force (although I do plan to write a post summarising it all soon):




I also got a tattoo back in August and neglected to mention it on here!



It feels good to back. I promise to stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment