Wednesday 30 September 2015

A Kinder September



September begins on the same day of the week as December every year, because there are 91 days in September, October and November, which is a multiple of seven. No other month ends on the same day of the week as September in any year. 

There are times when existence itself can feel overwhelming. I hurt too easily - although I loathe to show it and the seemingly unceasing cacophony of thoughts, memories and ideas are just too draining...too painful, even. I would like to, on occasion, leave my head somewhere and come back to it when I've had time to recharge and leave the entire planet for a while to hide away from all the noise. Get away from that sense of something slowly closing over the chest and throat.



Yet...suddenly! Those feelings will vanish...poof! Just like that. Replaced with an overwhelming need to have an adventure right now, right this very second. Talk to everyone! Make new friends! Confidence is at an all time high and the ideas are flowing and the energy is buzzing and I'm talking too fast...and...


I'm an introverted extrovert. 

What am I trying to say? I wanted to talk about September. It's usually an odd month for me. All that rambling up there? If September was an emotion, it would fall somewhere in between those two examples. Summer no longer, but neither does it feel like Autumn. Not yet. It is the transition between the two. A sort of purgatory, if you'll allow me to indulge in such a comparison.
But, as the title may suggest, this September has been a memorable one for all the right reasons and I'm going to share them with you!


Photography and Tomfoolery at Rinsey


Sarah and Connor in the evening sun

Connor was lucky enough to win a couple's photoshoot with the lovely Sarah of The Salty Sea Blog, who you may remember from my blog entry, Sarah in the Gardens. It was wonderful spending time with Sarah before she made her way back to Bath to continue her studies, and she's magic with a camera (such an incredible eye for composition) so I can't wait to see the results from the shoot.



The journey to Rinsey was so much fun because we spent most of it discussing books! It's always a joy to ramble madly about literature with someone who is passionate about it. In fact, with that thought, I may start posting the occasional book review. I mean, who doesn't love a good book recommendation?


I'm glad I was able to feel sand between my toes and salt water on my skin one more time before the colder weather closes in. It always feels like the world is slowing down when I'm by the coast...it feels easier to breathe. There is history surrounding the eroded rocks and crumbling shells. Ancient whispers in the waves.



Burning Man and Autumn Equinox

No, not the one at Black Rock City in Nevada. This one took place in the atmospheric Trelissick Gardens and was less a festival, and more of a gathering to celebrate the Autumn Equinox. The Wickerman was built the previous week on the beach. We went with our dear friends Charlotte, Jake and their little Jack Russell, Domino.




We were treated to a sunset that rivaled the flames we would see later in the evening. The things that cost nothing always hold the most value. I truly believe that...and living in a beautiful place like Cornwall is a constant reminder of how lucky I am. Give me a scenic hiking trail, a good book and great company and I'm completely content. Maybe throw in a couple of beach bonfires with close friends. The smell of wood-smoke is always such a nostalgic scent, it often brings back warm and wonderful memories as well as an urge to answer the call of adventure.




The Wickerman was burned after sunset to the accompanying sounds of bagpipes and other traditional instruments after several not-so-successful attempts to light it with a flaming arrow. We were nearly frozen solid by that point, but it was certainly worth it.




 I have a deep love for folklore and traditions so I will always make the effort to attend events such as Burning Man even if I run the risk of getting hypothermia and...oh. Actually, I don't attend the folk dancing sessions in Falmouth anymore because I got hideously drunk and injured my ankle in front of everyone. I may have also accidentally flashed my underwear. I don't quite remember. There was a lot of strong homemade cider. That happened 3 years ago and I still haven't returned. Ahem...so, barring ankle injuries and flashing I generally make the effort to attend folky things.

Moving swiftly on...


The Cornish Food Festival



I ate a ton of samples. We were essentially grazing. It was excellent. I also had calamari for the first time, which was also excellent! I came very close to purchasing the biggest cake I have ever seen in my life, but I managed to resist. As Connor sensibly pointed out, we never would have finished it before it went stale. He keeps me grounded. Sort of. I may have eaten cake for breakfast this morning.




Behold! My new cider collection.


Alas, I tell a lie. But I definitely took advantage of the free samples.


Thank you, New Yard Kitchen, for taking my calamari-virginity. Is that a thing? It is now.


We took a walk through Victoria Gardens after we left the festival. The leaves are finally changing from Summer's green to Autumn's red hues. We're 'leaf peepers'. I want to inhale this season - I don't know how else to describe it. I'm a Summer child at heart, but Autumn fills me with an almost overwhelming sense of nostalgia and a near-constant need to be walking, exploring...I want to be in the mountains at this time of year. It's the one urge I can't seem to satisfy here. No amount of coastal walking will fill that ache. Next year, travel will happen.







Subject change! Books! This month, I have read:

  • House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski 
  • Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami 
  • The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson





I'll be writing up my thoughts on all three very soon. What have you been reading this month?

I'm also pleased to announce that Eggshell Days was recently featured on  Photography Daily! I never imagined this little space on the internet would gather much traffic, as I'm essentially just using it as a way to record my memories, but I'm glad that people are enjoying reading it as much as I enjoy writing it.

My absolute favourite thing about this month is that my incredibly talented husband has finally started illustrating again. Words cannot express how thrilled I am. Please do have a look at his work at Connor Lassey Creations.


 

Last, but certainly not least, my cousin-in-law has opened her own Etsy shop! She has wonderful creative flair so please do head over to Party Animal Decor. Lily currently only ships within the US but will soon be looking into shipping internationally (my husband is Californian so all of his family live in the US - I don't think I've mentioned that before). 




September, you have been kind this year. Thank you. I was expecting flat skies and cold sleet, but you delivered something else entirely and for that I am grateful. I almost feel ready to welcome winter with open arms...perhaps.














No comments:

Post a Comment