Saturday 12 September 2015

Now You are One



Meaning of the name Robin: Famed, bright; shining.

My beautiful little bird turned 1 on the 29th of August. For his father and I, it was a bittersweet day. Truly, it is  a wonder to see that he has grown so strong and confident  under our tireless care, but there is also disbelief in just how fleeting a year can really be. It is milestones like this that give me a renewed appreciation for photography - the power to pause time, to me, is my most cherished ability of all. I have a terrible memory and photography allows me  to freeze moments and look back upon them with perfect clarity. It is a magic power I will never willingly give up.

These sweet moments with this adored child are mine forever, and will be unmarked and unchanged with the passage of time.

 A year! I still cannot believe it. It only seems like yesterday he was just turning 1 week old.



A photo from last year - father and son.



It is almost surreal to look back on early photos of Robin. There has been such a rapid change in such a short space of time. I can still remember the first time I held him in my arms...no longer exhausted, but instead full of a joy I don't believe I will ever be able to adequately express with words. The sudden rush of instant, unconditional love...


I have completely avoided giving Robin anything unhealthy since he began eating solids, as he can't miss what he has never had, and at such a young age (or indeed any age) nutritional value trumps everything else. However! No birthday is truly complete without cake.



He was far more interested in playing with it than eating it. New textures are fun and exciting for tiny humans with tiny hands!

As it turned out, he wasn't a fan of cake anyway. His birthday breakfast ended up consisting of his usual grains and fruit. Long may it continue.



Robin didn't quite get the knack of unwrapping his gifts. He needed just a little help from mum and dad before he could manage the epic task of separating paper from cellotape.

Still, he preferred the boxes and wrappings above all else, as seems to be the case with most children. I like to think it indicates a healthy imagination! I'm sure Robin and I will be constructing box forts and castles together in the near future.



Cake and a puppy? Surely, this is the best birthday ever?



Robin's birthday fell on the same day as Cornwall Pride. This worked well for us, as it meant we could show our support and Robin could have an exciting day too! 



Our dear friend Roland (who is also my husband's drag mother) was leading the parade as his gorgeous drag persona Roxie Moron. That dame is a total bombshell! 





After the parade finished we took Robin home for a quick nap and some lunch, so that he could refresh and recharge in order to continue enjoying the festivities. By then, everyone had gathered in Victoria Gardens and we headed over to join them, meeting up with one of my dearest and oldest friends, Tom, along the way (I mentioned Tom in my previous post - Sarah in the Gardens).

Years ago, Tom and I had a habit of playing 'lemon keep-ups' in the kitchen while Dancing Queen blasted away relentlessly in the background. It is exactly what it sounds like. You keep kicking the lemon and aim to keep it airborne for as long as possible while ABBA ruthlessly decimates your eardrums. Worryingly, that is in all probability the least surreal example of our shared pastimes, but it is without a doubt the one that involves the most broken china.

I still associate that waxen fruit with ABBA...


Outfit change. The beautiful Roxie Moron!


Somebody kindly approached us with an absolutely lovely yellow balloon for Robin. He was absolutely fascinated~

It is a joy to watch my dear boy interact with the world. I don't think I could ever tire of it. Everything is an adventure to him, and I so admire his fearlessness. 




Tom was less impressed with the arrival of the balloons.



It was a wonderful day, and although Robin won't remember it - he definitely had fun. I look forward to sharing these photos and memories with him in the near future, as well as creating new ones. The swift passing of months and years saddens me, but I am learning to make the most of the time we have available to us now. I'll repeat myself...photography is magic. To be able to look back upon such perfect memories and be reminded so clearly of each detail is a delightful gift and one that I will always treasure.

"How did it get so late so soon?"  - Dr. Seuss




No comments:

Post a Comment